Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oneshot: Supplemented Cravings….Grilled Cheese and Broke-Ass Thai Style Peanut Noodles


I know, I know.

Where’s the post from the pie contest?

Why are you being lazy?

WHY DON’T YOU LOVE US?????

I swear I do love you guys! Real life/work looms ladies and gents, IT LOOMS. So I’ve had to step back and get some stuff done. But I swear I’ve got some goodies coming up for you!

In the meantime though, have you ever walked past a food and just gotten a craving? It could be a picture, an ingredient, or the dish itself, and it triggers something on your tongue, in your loins, or in your stomach, that you just can’t get outta your head?

I was in my kitchen, lamenting the lack of food in it, when I walked past a jar of Jif peanut butter.

Sauce, it whispered.

“Huh?” I said, thinking it was one of my nieces pulling a prank.

Make peanut sauce, it quavered once more. I love a good spicy peanut sauce over noodles. But I’ve never thought to make it at home on my own. This needed to be changed. I looked around my pantry and found a pack of ramen. I threw away the spice pack and set some water to boil to cook the noodles. This way the sauce and pasta would be done at the same time.

I took a couple of spoonfuls of Jif (I think natural PB would be better next time, but this was all I had), and loosened it up with a couple of teaspoons of the hot water. I added some red chili flake and a clove of fresh garlic. I only used a clove because I didn’t want the flavor to overpower it. Added a tip of canola oil to stretch the sauce, and some hearty dashes of soy sauce (I LOVE soy sauce). Sea salt, fresh black pepper and a little parsley to round it out. I was hoping there’d be some coconut milk around to lend a little authenticity, but alas, none in the house. I kept tasting as I went, and finally was rewarded with a really robust, creamy sauce. While the noodles soaked in the hot H2O, I fried up a grilled cheese, for a nice side dish. Yes, I’m calling that a side dish, and I’m not changin’ it.
I kept a tiny bit of the hot water from the drained noodles and combined the pasta and sauce.
Oh yes, this hit the spot quite directly. It looks hideous, but it tastes good. And when you’re hungry, sometimes that’s all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment