Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Food Memories - Strawberries, Saltines, Whipped cream

It was afternoon and there were no more cooking shows on; PBS has switched over to painting and it wasn't Bob Ross! So it didn't hold my interest. I was 8 years old, no one was home, and I was feeling snackish. Opening every kitchen cabinet in the kitchen revealed a frightening expanse of wood, which is an adult way of saying that the cupboards were looking very bare. There were a lot of things I didn't like in there: sardines, Horlicks Malted Milk powder, jars of olives. There was, however, a box of saltine crackers. That and some cheese was the simplest way to my heart.

No cheese in the fridge. This was turning into a problem....but wait! There were strawberries (a fruit that was certainly invented by Jesus, because it was so good) and whipped cream in a can. Somehow I got the idea to top the saltines with slices of strawberries and a healthy squirt of whip. I crowded my experiments one by one onto a plate and settled down in time to watch Tiny Toon Adventures.

Crunchy. Juicy. Salty and sweet. The blandness of the crackers, and the slight tang of a an under-ripe berry. Creaminess. Red stained fingers.  I marveled at my ingenuity, hugged my stuffed Pooh bear, and felt sweet relief: starvation abated.

2 comments:

  1. I went through a phase as a kif where I ate saltines and milk, they complimented each other in a unique way much the way I'm sure these did here. Saltines really are more awesome than anyone gives them credit for.

    As for my favorite snack I was just thinking about chocolate frosted donuts with sprinkles. My mom used to take me to Dunkin Donuts and it was always a huge treat, even when it happened a couple times a week everytime I felt like I won the lotto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite childhood snacks that I still eat today is sliced apple (I prefer green granny smith) with a smear of peanut butter topped with raisins. I remember someone told my mom about it as a healthy snack so she started me on it. The stickiness of the PB and the juicyness of the apple make for a great combo.

    ReplyDelete